Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never prior to have numerous scientific developments and new techniques emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the chance to decrease or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will be delighted with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be fooled by fancy ads about a specific laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Pick a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a medical professional does not understand can injure you.
4. Ask for information on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. Find another one if your medical professional won't tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Look for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make certain that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" link LASIK surgical More Info treatment. Discount rate surgery is as good as a discount rate parachute.
Expect to see very well after LASIK, but don't expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. Implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has enhanced the vision of millions of people around the globe.